Finding myself in the Middle East



Friday, October 7, 2011

To You

To my darling Coco-pop on your fourth birthday,

Your party was almost a month late. Can you forgive me? I was afraid, these past couple of weeks, to plan your birthday party. I was afraid that we would plan it and then I would be called to Sabba's levaya, leaving you alone with the cake and the balloons and dreams.

You had a lot of dreams for your party, and I did my best. When it was over, you turned to me and said, "That was a FUN party!" I'm so glad, Love! It made it all worth it, planning and hosting a party for fifteen children when it's hard for me to even plan breakfast, in these draggy kind of days after Sabba died.

You refused to believe that you had turned four until you had the party. You woke up that morning, your dreamer's face glowing. You said, "I'm four, now." You seemed to understand the gravity of growing up. You always did have a lot of emotional intelligence. You felt Sabba's illness keenly, and once told me gravely that "it's not fair," that he can't walk.

The moment of gravity passed when your face broke into a sunny smile. "When will I be four and a half?" you asked.

You are a sunny girl, a sweet girl, a girl with genuine chein. You have a unique way of looking at the world, my sunshine, and we sometimes call you Curly Brain.

Happy Birthday, my sweet inexplicably red-headed girly.
Love,
Ima

2 comments:

Fashion-isha said...

Hey! So glad I found your blog...Frum bloggers rock! You are really so lucky to be living in Israel but I do understand your sentiments. Hope to see more...I'm following. Hope you stop by and say hi (and follow!)
xo
Sharon
www.fashion-isha.com

JerusalemStoned said...

Hey! Glad you found me, too! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...